Nashville-based DIY punk outfit Snõõper have released their latest single, Powerball, the second track lifted from their upcoming, debut album, Super Snõõper – set for release 14th July via Jack White’s record label, Third Man Records.
Packing frantic guitars, berzerk drum tones and the ever-cool vocals of Blair Tramel into the track’s short-but-sweet run-time of just over a minute, the track arrives accompanied by its music video. Directed by Tramel himself, and featuring puppeteering work by Grace Hall, the video channels the chaotic energy established by Powerball. It acts as a preview of the playfulness that is bought to Snõõper’s live shows.
Of the track, Tremel goes on to explain:
‘Powerball’ was written after a scratch-off winning streak. My mom called me to tell us that the Powerball jackpot was the highest it had been in years and we bought tickets. It’s funny to feel like you are going to win something so arbitrary – to feel like you are going to be the one-in-a-billion winner. When our numbers were not announced, we decided to buy some scratch-offs and, to my surprise, I won $50 on a $2 scratch-off. I kept buying scratch-offs from different gas stations around town and kept winning. It was a comical sort of high I hadn’t felt before and even when I started losing money I wanted to keep going.
Alongside the single, the band have also shared details of their upcoming first UK headline tour, taking place this November. The band are currently on tour in Australia and head home to America for a short run of shows before the UK dates.
Snõõper Tour Dates
- Thu. June 22 – Wollongong, AU @ La La La’s
- Fri. June 23 – Sydney, AU @ Oxford Art Factory #+
- Sun. June 25 – Newcastle, AU @ Hamilton Station Hotel
- Thu. June 29 – Canberra, AU @ Sideway Bar
- Fri. June 30 – Melbourne, AU @ Last Chance Rock & Roll Bar
- Sat. July 1 – Melbourne, AU @ Nighthawks %
- Sun. July 2 – Oakland, CA @ Mosswood Meltdown
- Wed. July 5 – Vancouver, BC @ Green Auto
- Fri. July 7 – Portland, OR @ Doug Fir Lounge
- Sat. July 8 – Seattle, WA @ Clock Out Lounge
- Sun, July 16 – Pomona, CA @ Viva Pomona
- Fri. Oct. 13 – Sun. Oct. 15 – Austin, TX @ Austin City Limits Festival
- Sun. Nov. 5 – Leeds, UK @ Brudenell Social Club
- Mon. Nov. 6 – Gladow, UK @ Hug & Pint
- Tue. Nov. 7 – Manchester, UK @ YES Basement
- Wed. Nov. 8 – London, UK @ The Windmill
- Fri. Nov. 10 – London, UK @ Pitchfork Festival (Roadhouse)
- Sat. Nov. 11 – Bristol, UK @ The Lanes
# w/ Gee Tee
+ w/ RMFC
% w/ Parsnip
The new track follows on from previous single, Fitness of which Tramel states:
‘Fitness’ was written just for fun without much thought, which is exactly the way I think working out should be. This song is about competition, doing things for the validation of others, and how ridiculous that can be. Before our first show, I made a paper mache weight to use during this song. It was our very first prop and the only prop we used for a while. ‘Fitness’ is a special song to us because it is still one of our most fun songs to play live.
Maintaining the intensity of the frantic lead single, Prod, Fitness arrives accompanied by its music video, directed by vocalist Blair Tramel, showcasing the puppetry used within the band’s live performances. Almost all of the props featured in the music video were made and assembled by Tramel, with the video offering a glimpse of the playful mayhem that can be witnessed within the band’s concerts.