After releasing their Valentine’s Day jam Follow You and their latest singles, Us and Don’t Wanna, and Islands, Irish indie-rock band modernlove. share their latest single Familiar. The new track is the fifth to be taken from the band’s forthcoming new EP Oh My Mind which will be released on July 29th via Akira Records (home of Phoria, Henry Green, Mt. Wolf, Rosie Carney, and Shura).
The 7-track EP features all of the band’s singles released this year on top of two previously unreleased songs. Heartfelt pop rock track Familiar is another prime example of the band’s signature sound.
Speaking about the new track, they said:
Familiar is a song about seeing an ex for the first time after breaking up. It’s about seeing them from across a bar with somebody else, having moved on with their life and the feelings that moment can evoke. It also explores the idea that we long for something familiar and comforting when we’re not in a very good place in our lives and that an ex can provide a temporary, albeit unhealthy, escape from that loneliness and anxiety. We wanted to reflect that emotional depth in the sonics as well, this is the closest we’ve come to RnB chords on the keys for example. But also not lose that modernlove bounce, it’s a pop song at heart
Modernlove. UK and Ireland Tour Dates
To celebrate the EP’s release, modernlove. will embark on their first ever UK and Ireland tour this November. The band will also play a string of support shows in Germany with Neeve. Tickets are available here*.
- Oct 4 Leipzig, DE – Neues Schauspiel *
- Oct 6 Berlin, DE – Cassiopeia *
- Oct 7 Hamburg, DE – Turmzimmer *
- Oct 10 Cologne, DE – Yard Club *
- Nov 2 – Birmingham – Hare & Hounds
- Nov 3 – Manchester – The Castle Hotel
- Nov 4 – Glasgow – The Garage (Attic Bar)
- Nov 9 – Bristol – The Louisiana
- Nov 10 – London – Camden Assembly
- Nov 11 – Leeds – Hyde Park Book Club
- Nov 12 – Belfast, The Deer’s Head
- Nov 13 – Derry, Sandino’s
- Nov 17 – Listowel, Mike The Pies
- Nov 18 – Limerick, Kasbah Social Club
- Nov 19 – Cork, Winthrop Avenue
- Nov 24 – Galway, Roisin Dubh
- Nov 25 – Dublin, Button Factory
In September 2021, modernlove. released their debut EP monochrome blue including singles Liquorice, 2 Missed Calls, and lmk (if you wanna see me) which were featured on several Spotify and Apple Music playlists. The band also received support from several radio stations, including Radio X, were labeled ’Ones to Watch’ on the Official Charts, and Irish Music Acts to Listen to in 2022 by The Irish Times. On top of all that, the band played live sessions on BBC Introducing and Seconds Away with Gemma Bradley.
Familiar is part of our New Indie Bands playlist.